September 18th, 2022
September 18, 2022
Dear Chicopee Hills PS families,
I am writing to you to make you aware of a situation that impacted our school community on Friday afternoon. At the end of the school day, one of our students was involved in an incident in one of the Kiss and Ride areas. Fortunately, the student was not seriously injured but it is an important opportunity for all of us to reflect on the part we all play in ensuring our school property is a safe place for our students and our community.
We ask parents, caregivers and students to be patient, attentive and follow the directions of our Supervision Monitors while they are using the Kiss and Ride. We need everyone’s assistance to keep the Kiss and Ride areas safe with traffic in our parking lot. Please review the Kiss and Ride Guidelines below (this procedure can also be found in our Chicopee Hills Student and Family Handbook which is always available on our website):
Kiss and Ride Guidelines
- Kindergarten students may only be dropped off at the side Kiss and Ride, located beside the Kindergarten area.
- Grade 1-8 students may be dropped off at the side OR front Kiss and Ride. Parents may choose the Kiss and Ride zone that is most convenient for their family for Grade 1-8 students.
- Kindergarten students using the Kiss and Ride will have a green tag attached to their backpack and drivers should have a green tag affixed to the mirror of their vehicle. Please let your child’s teacher know if you require a green tag for your vehicle and they will arrange to send one home.
- You must stay with your vehicle at all times. Do not leave your vehicle unattended. Prearrange with your child(ren) which Kiss and Ride Zone to find you in and they will walk to and from that area independently (except Kindergarten where a staff member will accompany Kindergarten students to and from the Kindergarten Kiss and Ride Zone.) Staff members are outside on duty to assist children in finding their families.
- When you are using the Kiss and Ride, please pull forward as far as possible. Pulling all the way forward allows more students to get in and out of cars at a time and keeps the whole system moving more smoothly.
- Try to arrive at 3:35 or 3:40. The majority of traffic after school is gone by 3:40 and staff supervision is in place until 3:45 to keep your children safe while they wait. Please note, we would never leave a child unattended no matter what the time is.
- Please follow the directions of our Supervision Monitors. Our monitors know how our system works best and their directions must be followed by everyone bringing a vehicle onto school property.
- Parking is for staff. Do not park in a parking space. You must use the Kiss and Ride Zones if you are driving your car onto school property before or after school.
- The bus loading zone is closed to through traffic before and after school.
- No idling in the Kiss and Ride zone.
We recognize that Friday’s events will impact everyone differently. Sometimes, witnessing incidents like this can cause students to become anxious or feel uncomfortable. If your child is feeling uneasy and would like to speak with someone, resources are available at school.
The well-being of our students is my top priority. I appreciate your support and cooperation as we respond to this event in our school community.
If you have any questions or concerns about this incident, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Chicopee Hills Public School